Valentine’s day is the perfect reason to spoil those nearest and dearest to you, and spend some quality time together.
The team at Hanley’s Farm has put together a list of our favourite Valentine’s Day activities.
1. Have your ideal date night at home
String up some fairy lights, put on your go-to playlist and have dinner under the stars this year.
There’s nothing quite like a favourite homemade meal shared with someone you love.
2. Create your own custom flower arrangement
Valentine’s Day and flowers are a match made in heaven.
New Zealand is native to some truly stunning flowers and foliage, and with a little bit of creative vision, you can fashion a stunning floral arrangement perfectly curated to your taste.
For top tips from an expert florist, click here:
3. Shake it up with cocktails
You can’t go wrong with a bottle of wine, but why not get creative with the drinks accompanying your romantic evening?
The trick to making a great cocktail at home is to find drinks that aren’t too complicated. Pick a few of your favourite flavours, and get mixing!
4. Bake some cupcakes together
For a wholesome activity that results in delicious baked treats, whipping up a fresh batch of red velvet cupcakes together is a perfect way to spend Valentine’s Day.
Follow the simple instructions below, and you will have a decadent chocolatey delight in no time, not to mention the house will smell divine!
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon liquid red food colouring
- 2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Cream cheese icing
- 250 gram cream cheese, softened
- 150 gram butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- heart sprinkles or chocolate hearts to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line muffin pans with 18 paper cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl.
4. Mix together the milk, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla essence.
5. Fold the dry and wet ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately in three batches.
6. Spoon the mixture evenly into the paper cases. Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
7. To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is very pale. Mix in the icing sugar and vanilla essence on a low speed.
8. Cover the cooled cupcakes with a generous swirl of icing and decorate with the heart sprinkles to serve.